Friday, September 21, 2007

My heart goes out to all single mothers--or mothers who feel single

Michael has been working--let me correct myself--living in his office for the last 11 weeks. He is on a case that is preparing for trial and they have a really tight deadline, so he's been working insane hours for almost 3 months--into the office by 9ish and home after midnight, one or two. And although my little boys are IcREdIBlE, I am worn. I feel like I am being held together with just a few brittle strands of thread. Thanks to those of you who have been gracious enough to catch a few of my tears as they have fallen on your shoulder. It's been hard. I know there are women out there whose husbands do this on a regular basis, so my question is how? How do women do this without the help of their husbands? Just the few hours a day that Michael is usually home to help me is enough to get me through the routine of a week.

Last month I resigned from my position in the Medical ICU at Brigham and Womens Hospital. We have so much uncertainty in our lives in the upcoming months that it didn't make sense to go back after maternity leave. As difficult as it was to come to the decision that I should postpone working for a little while, can hardly imagine how difficult it would be for me to leave my children during these last few months that Michael has been MIA.

On the brighter side of things, I am so grateful that I have the luxury of staying home with my boys.

No comments: